K`taka min questions Guv`s action on disqualification plea
Bangalore: Karnataka Minister G Janardhana
Reddy on Friday said Governor H R Bhardwaj has no power to issue
notices to him and two other ministers on a petition seeking
their disqualification citing conflict of interest.
Janardhana, Minister for Tourism and Infrastructure
Development in the B S Yeddyurappa government, said he
responded to the notices in January itself, adding, "The
publicity (to the controversy) was given only now."
"The Governor is not court. He has no authority to issue
notices. It`s not in his jurisdiction," Janardhana told
Terming the petition filed in January by Congress MLC K C
Kondaih as "false complaint", he said, "The Governor should
have rejected the complaint."
Early this week, the governor began proceedings on the
petition by summoning Janardhana, his brother and Revenue
Minister G Karunakara Reddy and Health Minister B Sreeramulu,
seeking their legal assistance on the petition.
Kondaiah, in his petition has sought disqualification of
the trio alleging that they were indulging in illegal mining
and their continuing in the Cabinet would influence decisions
in favour of their business activities.
On the basis of the complaint, the governor on January 19
issued a notice under Article 191 of Constitution (relating to
disqualification provisions) seeking replies from Reddy
brothers and Sreeramulu.
The ministers` advocates presented their arguments before
the governor on Monday and hearing was adjourned to June 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened