K`taka plans to send all party delegation on drought
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Saturday renewed its demand to the Centre for a Rs 2,000 crore special package for farmers in drought-hit areas.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar interacted with the 15-member Central team deputed for an on-the-spot study of the scarcity conditions and detailed the relief measures the state has initiated.
Government has so far spent Rs 2,200 crore on drought relief, Shettar told reporters here.
The state has sought Rs 11,489 crore assistance, but the Centre has provided Rs 700 crore funds in the last two years which the state was entitled under calamity relief.
Shettar said the study team, which visited six severely drought-hit districts, was expected to submit its report in a couple of days and after that he planned to lead an all-party delegation to Delhi to press for immediate assistance.
The situation has slightly improved following rains in some parts, but the scarcity conditions continued, Shettar told the Central team.
Besides Chief Secretary S V Ranganath, top officials of the Revenue department were present during the interaction.
Shettar also apprised the central team of the drought situation that has been battering Karnataka since 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued