K`taka seeks Rs 1,500 cr interim relief
New Delhi: An all party delegation headed by Karnataka Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda on Wednesday met Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, seeking an immediate interim relief of Rs 1,500 crore to deal with drought in 24 districts in the state.
The Finance Minister has assured the delegation that he would consider the demand for interim relief after an Agriculture Ministry team, which will visit the state this week, submit its report, Gowda said after the meeting.
Earlier in the day, the delegation had met Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar who immediately ordered an official delegation to visit the state to take the assessment of the drought.
Gowda said the official delegation from the Agriculture Ministry will visit the state in two days.
Order in this regard has been issued by the Agriculture Minister, he said.
He said the drought has hit 123 talukas in 24 districts of the state, causing crop loss worth Rs 5,864 crore.
"Our demand is that the Centre should bear half of the expenses. An interim relief of Rs 1,500 crore should be released immediately," Gowda told reporters outside Parliament House.
Top political leaders from the state including Union Ministers M Veerappa Moily, Mallikarjun Kharge, KH Muniappa, former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy, state ministers and leaders of the leading political parties in Karnataka were part of the delegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened