K`taka sets up committee to probe Wakf land scam
Bangalore: Karnataka Government has set up a high-level committee to look into encroachment of Wakf properties, Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda said on Monday.
The committee would submit its report in four months time, Gowda said in a statement.
The government had earlier constituted a panel in November last year following complaints and media reports on the role of politicians and Wakf Board officials in the illegal sale of land to individuals.
The panel had submitted a 7,000-page report to Gowda on March 27 alleging a scam of over Rs two lakh crore involving the Wakf Board land.
It reportedly said that Wakf property had been misused since 1954 due to the "nexus" between Wakf officials and real estate mafia.
Panel chief and Karnataka Minorities Commission Chairman Anwar Manipaddy had recommended to the government to set up a high-power committee to check corrupt activities in the Wakf Board and appoint a task force to retrieve Wakf properties sold illegally to "some powerful and influential people".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says