K`taka sets up committee to probe Wakf land scam
Bangalore: Karnataka Government has set up a high-level committee to look into encroachment of Wakf properties, Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda said on Monday.
The committee would submit its report in four months time, Gowda said in a statement.
The government had earlier constituted a panel in November last year following complaints and media reports on the role of politicians and Wakf Board officials in the illegal sale of land to individuals.
The panel had submitted a 7,000-page report to Gowda on March 27 alleging a scam of over Rs two lakh crore involving the Wakf Board land.
It reportedly said that Wakf property had been misused since 1954 due to the "nexus" between Wakf officials and real estate mafia.
Panel chief and Karnataka Minorities Commission Chairman Anwar Manipaddy had recommended to the government to set up a high-power committee to check corrupt activities in the Wakf Board and appoint a task force to retrieve Wakf properties sold illegally to "some powerful and influential people".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka