K’taka working on air quality atlas to locate pollution hotspots
Bangalore: Karnataka is working on preparing
an air quality atlas for the state to generate information on
pollution status and locate pollution hotspots, a senior
government official said on Monday.
The initiative is being driven jointly by Karnataka`s
Ecology and Environment Department and Karnataka State
Pollution Control Board.
The department Secretary Kanwerpal said the idea was to
identify pollution hotspots in the state so that various
departments, under State Implementation Plan, could "act upon"
and initiate "interventions" to reduce pollution levels.
"We are working with KSPCB", he said at an All-India
workshop on "Urban Air Pollution Forecasting, Monitoring and
An index would be created based on 12 pollutants and
"people should know the quality of the air", Kanwerpal said.
He said the Union Government has declared 88 industrial
sites in the country, including five in Karnataka --
Mangalore, Bhadrawati, Peenya (Bangalore), Raichur and
Bidar -- as being polluted above accepted levels in terms of
air, water and land degradation.
Of the five, Mangalore and Bhadrawati industrial hubs had
been termed as "critically polluted".
"No more industrialisation of any kind" -- no
environmental clearance -- as a moratorium has been declared
for eight months in the five hubs, Kanwerpal said, adding, the
state had initiated an action plan to reduce pollution levels.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!