Kumaraswamy launches indefinite fast
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Chief Minister and JD-S leader HD Kumaraswamy on Saturday began an indefinite fast here pressing for a CBI probe into ruling BJP`s charge that his family members amassed illegal wealth to the tune of Rs 1,500 crore.
Kumaraswamy, son of former prime minister HD Deve Gowda, accompanied by thousands of JD-S workers marched from his party office to the Freedom Park, the venue of his fast.
He told reporters the fast could be one of the first of its kind in the state wherein a former chief minister had been forced to undertake such a protest demanding a CBI probe into his own family`s assets.
He said the allegations targeted a former prime minister (Deve Gowda), a former chief minister (himself) and a former state minister (his brother HD Revanna) who have been in politics for more than five decades.
The BJP had last month brought out a `chargesheet` accusing Kumaraswamy`s family of owning Rs 1,500 crore illegal assets.
"I am confident of passing through this trial by fire. I value my personal prestige and honour above my life," Kumaraswamy said, adding the agitation was not for any personal reason but only to bring out the truth.
Referring to his charges of nepotism made against Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa over land denotifications, he said, "I have already brought out documentary evidences against
Chief Minister and his family members."
Yeddyurappa was "scared" of ordering the CBI probe as he was afraid that one day he might also have to face a similar inquiry over charges of corruption, nepotism and favourtism,
Kumaraswamy, who had headed a coalition government with BJP in 2006, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre