Kumaraswamy, wife get anticipatory bail
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Thursday granted anticipatory bail to former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy and his wife HD Anita in a graft case involving mining lease renewal and residential site allotment by a housing society.
Kumaraswamy, now Janata Dal-Secular Lok Sabha member, and Anita, member of the state assembly, sought anticipatory bail after a trial court summoned them to appear in the two cases on August 30.
Granting bail, Justice L Narayanaswamy told the couple to appear in the special Lokayukta court on Friday. They had been avoiding court on grounds of ill-health.
Judge NK Sudhindra Rao of the Lokayukta court had summoned the couple on August 08 to appear before him on August 30, upon a private complaint by city-based advocate Vinod Kumar, alleging irregularities and graft.
The complaint alleged that Kumaraswamy renewed the mining lease of Jantakkal Enterprises Ltd against the rules and illegally allotted land to a housing society, which in return gave a residential site in Bangalore to Anita.
These decisions were taken when Kumaraswamy was heading the JDS-Bharatiya Janata Party coalition government in the state from 2006 to 2007.
He is alleged to have allotted 70 acres to the Vishwabharathi Housing Cooperative Society in Bangalore. The society in return favoured his wife Anita with a 100 x 150-foot residential plot.
Kumaraswamy, who is JDS Karnataka unit president, represents Ramanagara, about 60 km from Bangalore, in the Lok Sabha.
Anita represents the Madhugiri assembly constituency in Tumkur district, about 70 km from Bangalore.
Kumaraswamy has also been indicted by the Lokayukta for flouting rules in renewing lease to Jantakkal Enterprises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey