Kumaraswamy, wife get anticipatory bail
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Thursday granted anticipatory bail to former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy and his wife HD Anita in a graft case involving mining lease renewal and residential site allotment by a housing society.
Kumaraswamy, now Janata Dal-Secular Lok Sabha member, and Anita, member of the state assembly, sought anticipatory bail after a trial court summoned them to appear in the two cases on August 30.
Granting bail, Justice L Narayanaswamy told the couple to appear in the special Lokayukta court on Friday. They had been avoiding court on grounds of ill-health.
Judge NK Sudhindra Rao of the Lokayukta court had summoned the couple on August 08 to appear before him on August 30, upon a private complaint by city-based advocate Vinod Kumar, alleging irregularities and graft.
The complaint alleged that Kumaraswamy renewed the mining lease of Jantakkal Enterprises Ltd against the rules and illegally allotted land to a housing society, which in return gave a residential site in Bangalore to Anita.
These decisions were taken when Kumaraswamy was heading the JDS-Bharatiya Janata Party coalition government in the state from 2006 to 2007.
He is alleged to have allotted 70 acres to the Vishwabharathi Housing Cooperative Society in Bangalore. The society in return favoured his wife Anita with a 100 x 150-foot residential plot.
Kumaraswamy, who is JDS Karnataka unit president, represents Ramanagara, about 60 km from Bangalore, in the Lok Sabha.
Anita represents the Madhugiri assembly constituency in Tumkur district, about 70 km from Bangalore.
Kumaraswamy has also been indicted by the Lokayukta for flouting rules in renewing lease to Jantakkal Enterprises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'