Land denotification: Pejavar seer threatens fast
Bangalore: Pejavar Mutt pontiff Visvesha
Thirtha Swami on Tuesday threatened to go on an indefinite fast in
Mangalore from tomorrow if the ruling BJP failed to honour its
promise of withdrawing notification on acquisition of land for
SEZ in that city by this evening.
Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa met me three days back and
promised to rescind the notification issued for acquiring 2035
acres by July 10. But so far no action has been taken. I will
wait till this evening.If the notification is not withdrawn, I
will launch an indefinite fast from tomorrow, he said in a
statement issued to press.
Likening forcible acquisition of lands from farmers to
"forcible conversion of people into other castes with promise
of allurements," he urged the government not to acquire
fertile land for industrial purposes.
Only barren land should be acquired, he added.
Acquisition of fertile land also goes against Central and
state government guidelines, he said.
The seer said the land acquired in 2005 remained
unutilised and no farming activity could be taken up since
then. Banks too are unwilling to extend credit for
Pejavar Swami, who has been agitating against land
acquisition for the SEZ and Nandikur Thermal Power plant in
Udupi, mooted a statewide stir against acquiring farmers land
He also declared support to farmers of Gadag who have been
up in arms on giving land to the proposed POSCO steel plant.
Asked if he would fight land acquisition for the Nandi
Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise project, which has been
entrusted with Bangalore-Mysore expressway and township
project, the Seer said "nobody has invited him so far".
He set a three month deadline for the government
constituted expert committee to study the `health hazards`
posed by the thermal plant in Udupi and submit a report and
for government to act on it.
"The government has given six month time to the
Committee. It is too late. The committee should complete its
work and submit its findings by October 2", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!