Land denotification: Pejavar seer threatens fast
Bangalore: Pejavar Mutt pontiff Visvesha
Thirtha Swami on Tuesday threatened to go on an indefinite fast in
Mangalore from tomorrow if the ruling BJP failed to honour its
promise of withdrawing notification on acquisition of land for
SEZ in that city by this evening.
Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa met me three days back and
promised to rescind the notification issued for acquiring 2035
acres by July 10. But so far no action has been taken. I will
wait till this evening.If the notification is not withdrawn, I
will launch an indefinite fast from tomorrow, he said in a
statement issued to press.
Likening forcible acquisition of lands from farmers to
"forcible conversion of people into other castes with promise
of allurements," he urged the government not to acquire
fertile land for industrial purposes.
Only barren land should be acquired, he added.
Acquisition of fertile land also goes against Central and
state government guidelines, he said.
The seer said the land acquired in 2005 remained
unutilised and no farming activity could be taken up since
then. Banks too are unwilling to extend credit for
Pejavar Swami, who has been agitating against land
acquisition for the SEZ and Nandikur Thermal Power plant in
Udupi, mooted a statewide stir against acquiring farmers land
He also declared support to farmers of Gadag who have been
up in arms on giving land to the proposed POSCO steel plant.
Asked if he would fight land acquisition for the Nandi
Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise project, which has been
entrusted with Bangalore-Mysore expressway and township
project, the Seer said "nobody has invited him so far".
He set a three month deadline for the government
constituted expert committee to study the `health hazards`
posed by the thermal plant in Udupi and submit a report and
for government to act on it.
"The government has given six month time to the
Committee. It is too late. The committee should complete its
work and submit its findings by October 2", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC