Land row: BSY asked to file necessary application
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court Monday directed Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa to file an application to implead the state government as a party in a petition filed by him, challenging sanction accorded for his prosecution by Governor H R Bhardwaj on private complaints over land scams.
When the petition came up for hearing, a division bench comprising justices Ajit Gunjal and B V Nagarathna directed Yeddyurappa to file the necessary application to
implead the state government as a a party.
The court granted a week`s time to petitioner`s
counsel B V Acharya to file Interim Application (IA) with a
direction for an advance copy to be served to the respondents (the two lawyers who filed the complaints) and adjourned the hearing to August 16.
Senior Counsel for the respondents P P Rao, however,
said he would oppose the IA as it is difficult to comprehend
how his government can defend the Governor`s action when the
Chief Minister is the aggrieved party.
Earlier, Rao, quoting Article 361 submitted the
petition was not maintainable without the State being made a
He further submitted that the Governor enjoys immunity
and cannot be summoned by any court of law.
Acharya reiterated senior counsel Ram Jethmalani`s
statement in the July 18 hearing that Governor`s sanction for
prosecution revealed "non application of mind and was biased".
He further submitted that while the Governor cannot be summoned to court, he can be asked to file an affidavit.
It may be noted that the court on July 18, had placed
the petition before Chief Justice J S Khehar, to in turn refer
it to larger bench as petition involved important questions of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Will not be bullied, will definitely visit Pakistan to talk peace: Ramya
- Xioami Redmi Note 4 launched, comes with 10-core processor, 4,100 mAh battery
- Michel Platini at sports court for Sepp Blatter appeal
- LIVE streaming: Krishna Janmashtami 2016 celebrations straight from ISKON Delhi – Watch here
- Temples lit up for Janmashtami celebrations in Madhya Pradesh