Land row: BSY asked to file necessary application
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court Monday directed Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa to file an application to implead the state government as a party in a petition filed by him, challenging sanction accorded for his prosecution by Governor H R Bhardwaj on private complaints over land scams.
When the petition came up for hearing, a division bench comprising justices Ajit Gunjal and B V Nagarathna directed Yeddyurappa to file the necessary application to
implead the state government as a a party.
The court granted a week`s time to petitioner`s
counsel B V Acharya to file Interim Application (IA) with a
direction for an advance copy to be served to the respondents (the two lawyers who filed the complaints) and adjourned the hearing to August 16.
Senior Counsel for the respondents P P Rao, however,
said he would oppose the IA as it is difficult to comprehend
how his government can defend the Governor`s action when the
Chief Minister is the aggrieved party.
Earlier, Rao, quoting Article 361 submitted the
petition was not maintainable without the State being made a
He further submitted that the Governor enjoys immunity
and cannot be summoned by any court of law.
Acharya reiterated senior counsel Ram Jethmalani`s
statement in the July 18 hearing that Governor`s sanction for
prosecution revealed "non application of mind and was biased".
He further submitted that while the Governor cannot be summoned to court, he can be asked to file an affidavit.
It may be noted that the court on July 18, had placed
the petition before Chief Justice J S Khehar, to in turn refer
it to larger bench as petition involved important questions of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India