Legislative Council Chairman to serve notice on five BJP MLCs
Bangalore: Five BJP MLCs owing allegiance to former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa facing disqualification threat for alleged anti-party activities seem to have earned temporary reprieve, with Chairman of Legislative Council DH Shankaramurthy on Saturday saying he is in no hurry to take a decision on the matter.
The BJP got two of its MLCs to file a petition against the five on January 29 seeking their disqualification. In the absence of Shankaramurthy, who was on tour, they submitted it to Council Secretary V Shreesh.
Replying to repeated questions on when he would take action on the petitions, Shankaramurthy, addressing the customary press conference here ahead of the session starting Monday, said there were well laid out procedures and rules in such matters and he would abide by them. There is no time-frame for his decision.
He said he would serve a notice on the five -- Bharati Shetty, BJ Puttaswamy, Shivaraj Sajjan, Mohan Limbikai and Mumtaz Ali Khan, to reply to the petition, filed by Ashwathnararayana and Somanna Bevinamarad.
The chairman said he would be fair and take a reasonable time. "I will not be in a hurry".
Meanwhile, Speaker of the Assembly KG Bopaiah did not hold his customary press conference ahead of the session.
Bopaiah had come under severe criticism from the Yeddyurappa camp for not being present in his office when 13 MLAs went there to submit their resignation letters on January 23.
And on January 29, 12 MLAs backing Yeddyurappa had accused the Speaker of "delaying" acceptance of their resignation letters after they met him and charged him with being under the "control of government".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...