Legislative Council Chairman to serve notice on five BJP MLCs
Bangalore: Five BJP MLCs owing allegiance to former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa facing disqualification threat for alleged anti-party activities seem to have earned temporary reprieve, with Chairman of Legislative Council DH Shankaramurthy on Saturday saying he is in no hurry to take a decision on the matter.
The BJP got two of its MLCs to file a petition against the five on January 29 seeking their disqualification. In the absence of Shankaramurthy, who was on tour, they submitted it to Council Secretary V Shreesh.
Replying to repeated questions on when he would take action on the petitions, Shankaramurthy, addressing the customary press conference here ahead of the session starting Monday, said there were well laid out procedures and rules in such matters and he would abide by them. There is no time-frame for his decision.
He said he would serve a notice on the five -- Bharati Shetty, BJ Puttaswamy, Shivaraj Sajjan, Mohan Limbikai and Mumtaz Ali Khan, to reply to the petition, filed by Ashwathnararayana and Somanna Bevinamarad.
The chairman said he would be fair and take a reasonable time. "I will not be in a hurry".
Meanwhile, Speaker of the Assembly KG Bopaiah did not hold his customary press conference ahead of the session.
Bopaiah had come under severe criticism from the Yeddyurappa camp for not being present in his office when 13 MLAs went there to submit their resignation letters on January 23.
And on January 29, 12 MLAs backing Yeddyurappa had accused the Speaker of "delaying" acceptance of their resignation letters after they met him and charged him with being under the "control of government".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'