Life in jail for rapists of Bangalore law student
Bangalore: A fast-track court here Friday sentenced six people to life imprisonment after convicting them for the gang-rape of a law student in the Bangalore University campus last October.
Pronouncing the sentence, Civil and Sessions Judge (V) Sangannavar said all the convicts would have to spend all their life in prison till their natural death.
The sentence includes a fine of Rs 1,000 on each convict.
Though eight people were involved in the gruesome incident, the seventh accused (Raja) has been absconding since then, while the eighth is being tried separately in the juvenile justice court as he was a minor when the crime was committed.
The 21-year-old victim, who hails from Nepal, was a third year student of the state-run National Law School of India University, which is adjacent to the Jnana Bharati campus of the Bangalore University, about 20 km from the city centre.
The accused were convicted Wednesday under section 376 (g) of the Indian Penal Code for gangrape, which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, and other relevant sections of the IPC.
According to public prosecutor Sanjya Kumar Bhatt, the court had directed the victim to claim compensation for the physical scar and lasting mental scar from the criminal injuries board.
"Justifying the maximum sentence, the judge said punishment should meet the seriousness and gravity of the crime, which involved not just the physical torture, but also the mental trauma of the victim that won`t go away for long time," Bhatt said quoting from the judgement.
The judge also took into account the pubic abhorrence of such heinous crimes in recent times across the country in deciding the life sentence for those convicted.
The six convicts -- Rama and Yaliyaiah (both 23 years), Maddura, Shivanna and Erayya (all 20 years) and Doddaerayya (19 years) - are residents of Bangalore Rural and Ramnagara districts.
The incident took place Oct 13, 2012 when the victim was out on a walk in the sprawling green campus along with her male friend.
Taking advantage of the secluded spot and darkness, the gang bashed up the friend and sexually assaulted the victim after taking her forcibly into the nearby bushes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray