Lingayats renew demand for KPCC chief post in Karnataka
Bellary: With the Karnataka Assembly polls due in May, power struggle renewed in opposition Congress in the wake of Lingayat leaders demanding state unit president post for one of its leaders.
State unit Congress Treasurer Shamanur Shivashankarappa, who is spearheading the movement, reiterated that Lingayat leaders continued to be neglected in Congress in Karnataka.
Speaking to reporters here, he cautioned the Congress high command that if the state unit president post was not given to a Lingayat leader, the community leaders might join other political outfits.
Shivashankarappa, a prominent educationist in the state, said he would lead a delegation of like-minded Lingayat leaders to Delhi next week to press for the demand.
"It is high time that the Congress High Command rectifies the mistake of neglecting Lingayat leaders and initiates immediate measures ahead of the assembly polls," he said.
He admitted that he was a contender for the KPCC post.
Some months ago, Lingayat leaders headed by Shivashankarappa had placed a similar demand seeking replacement of incumbent KPCC chief G Parameshwara, but could not succeed.
The community has again brought to the fore its demand against the backdrop of Congress holding its AICC session at Jaipur from January 20, where a team to lead the party in the Assembly elections was expected to be announced.
The Congress High Command has already held talks with some front ranking leaders, including its opposition leader in the state assembly Siddaramaiah and Parameshwar, to ensure the party`s return to power.
Former External Affairs Minister SM Krishna, who quit the Union Cabinet, is also awaiting the High Command decision on the responsibility which he would be entrusted with in the run up to the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi