Lokayukta cop shifted to `sabotage probe against Yeddy`: Santosh Hegde
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice N Santosh Hegde has hit out at the state government for transferring Lokayukta official Jeevan Kumar V Gaonkar, alleging that it was an attempt to "sabotage" the probe against former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa and his family.
Yesterday, the state government transferred Mr Gaonkar, who was serving as Additional Director General of Police, Karnataka Lokayukta, and brought in Satyanarayana Rao HN, Additional DGP, Crimes & Technical Services, Bangalore, in his place. Rao is said to be close to Yeddyurappa.
Hegde told a news agency that the Lokayukta police was conducting investigation against "quite big and powerful people" and the conduct of Gaonkar "looked positive" going by newspaper reports and "whatever he submitted to the Special Lokayukta Court".
"That has created a lot of anger in the political administration," the former Supreme Court judge said.
Without naming Yeddyurappa, who he indicted in his illegal mining report, Hegde said, "Some people ultimately got bail and they came out but inquiry against them and their family and former colleagues is continuing".
Hegde also claimed that some newspapers have reported that the Chief Secretary had objected to Rao`s name and questioned the "sudden transfer without there being a Lokayukta, without his opinion". The post is vacant right now.
"All this leads to one and only conclusion that this was done for collateral purpose...to sabotage the investigation", Hegde said. "An attempt is being made definitely with an objective to defeat the investigation that`s being carried out", he added.
Yeddyurappa was released from Bangalore`s Central Prison on November 8, 25 days after he was arrested for corruption.
In July this year, he was asked by his party, the BJP, to step down after Hegde`s report on illegal mining indicted him. During his term in office, he was accused on multiple fronts of graft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh