Lokayukta cop shifted to sabotage probe: Hegde
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice N Santosh Hegde on Saturday hit out at the state government for transferring Lokayukta official Jeevan Kumar V Gaonkar, alleging that it was an attempt to "sabotage" the probe against former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa and his family.
Government yesterday transferred Gaonkar, who was serving as additional director general of police, Karnataka Lokayukta, and brought Satyanarayana Rao H N, Additional DGP, Crimes & Technical Services, Bangalore, in his place.
Taking exception to the move, Hegde said that the Lokayukta police was conducting investigation against "quite big people, powerful people" and said the conduct of Gaonkar "looked positive" going by newspaper reports and "whatever he submitted to the Special Lokayukta Court".
"That has created a lot of anger in the political administration," the former Supreme Court judge, who is also a key Team Anna member, said.
Without naming Yeddyurappa, who he indicted in his illegal mining report that led to the BJP strongman`s exit as chief minister, Hegde said: "Some people ultimately got bail and they came out but enquiry against them, their family and former colleagues is continuing".
He pointed to "sudden change (the transfer) without there being a Lokayukta, without his opinion", and also referred to newspaper reports that the chief secretary had objected to Rao`s name at some point of time earlier.
"All this leads to one and only conclusion: this (the transfer) was done for collateral purpose...to sabotage the investigation", Hegde said. "What`s the mortal hurry to change this person?".
"An attempt is being made definitely... objective is to defeat the investigation that`s being carried out", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list