Lokayukta Patil may clarify allegations on Monday
Bangalore: Karnataka Lokayukta Shivaraj V
Patil is expected to respond in detail on Monday to allegations
of flouting rules in acquisition of plots of land for himself
and his wife here, amid intense speculation on whether he
would quit the post.
Sources close to the former Supreme Court judge, who took
over as Lokayukta from Santosh N Hegde six weeks ago, said he
is upset and hurt by the charges and claimed that he is
contemplating to resign.
Patil, scheduled to address a media conference tomorrow,
bought a 9,600 square feet plot allotted by Karnataka State
Judicial Department Employees House Building Cooperative
Society in 1994 even though he already had built a house.
Two years later, his wife purchased a 4,012 sq ft plot from
Vyalikaval House Building Cooperative Society (VHBCS), in
violation of house building bye-laws which prohibit members of
the same family from obtaining sites separately.
Patil said his wife was allotted the land in an auction by
VHBCS, which was selling it to raise money to clear debt, and
she surrendered the property through a letter dated September
14 but pointed out that under the circumstances she bought it,
the rules (that one should not own any plot in Bangalore) did
A section of the media today quoted anti-graft activist
Anna Hazare as saying that prima-facie, it seems to be a
clear-cut case of impropriety and Patil, who served as the
one-man committee that went into the processes and procedures
followed by the Department of Telecommunications in the
allocation of licenses and spectrum between 2001 and 2009,
Political class in Karnataka is divided on their opinion
vis-a-vis the episode, with some saying flouting private
housing cooperative society rules is not uncommon and that the
controversy should end as his wife has surrendered the plot,
while others felt that Patil`s moral authority has taken a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore