‘Lokayukta probe against Krishna to continue’
New Delhi: The Karnataka High Court on Friday rejected a petition moved by Union External Affairs Minister SM Krishna challenging the Lokayukta probe against him in connection with an illegal mining case.
The high court, while refusing to entertain Krishna’s plea, ruled that the Lokayukta proceedings against the state’s former chief minister will continue.
The ruling comes days after the Lokayukta court ordered a probe by the Lokayukta Police while responding to a private complaint against three former Karnataka chief ministers, including Krishna, over allegations that they permitted illegal mining during their tenure.
Lokayukta Court Judge N K Sudhindra Rao directed the Lokayukta ADGP to conduct the probe against Krishna, former chief ministers N Dharam Singh (Congress) and HD Kumaraswamy (JDS) and directed it to submit its report.
The judge passed the order under section 156 (3) Cr PC (power to investigate cognizable cases).
The complainant TJ Abraham had accused Krishna (who was the Chief Minister from October 1999 to May 2004), and his successors N Dharam Singh and HD Kumaraswamy of having indulged in various acts of omission and commission of illegalities in relation to grant of leases for mining in the state during their tenure as Chief Ministers. He also named 11 officials as co-accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy