`Made-Snana` will be banned in 2 months: K`taka CM
Bangalore: After months of public debate,
Karnataka Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda on Thursday announced
that `Made-Snana`, a controversial ritual practiced in some
temples of the State for centuries, would be banned in two
"The practice of Made-Snana will be stopped within two
months," Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda said in a suo motu
statement in the Legislative Council, where Tontadarya (BJP)
raised a question on various temple superstitions being
practiced in the State.
Made-Snana is a ritual where people roll on plantain
leaves off which Brahmins have had their meals, to fulfil
`Harake` (an offering made for a wish) and also with the
belief that it would help in curing skin diseases.
The practice, particularly in Subramanya temple in
Dakshina Kannada district, has become an issue of intense
debate in the State, with sections of the society seeing the
ritual as an "atrocity against Dalits", while supporters
maintain that people perform it voluntarily with certain
beliefs, which can`t be questioned.
About 100 swamijis heading various mutts in the state had
congregated at Freedom Park earlier this week to protest
against age-old superstitions, especially Made-Snana, and
demanded a ban on them.
Informing the House that he has already started a
dialogue with people concerned, the Chief Minister said he is
in contact with pontiff of Pejawar mutt Vishwesha Teertha
Swamiji and others in an attempt to stop the ritual.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31