Maharashtra wants Belgaum be declared a UT
Mumbai: Even as the Supreme Court is yet to decide on the contentious issue, the Maharashtra government on Thursday demanded that Belgaum district be declared a union territory.
State Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said that he will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to press of the demand.
The decades old border dispute between Maharashtra and Karnataka once again boiled over after pro-Marathi Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti (MES) controlled Belgaum City Corporation was superseded by the Karnataka government - on July 3 - for allegedly violating provisions of the Karnataka Municipal Act, 1976.
The MES had wants Belgaum city and 865 surrounding villages to be placed under Central government rule until the border dispute is resolved in the Supreme Court.
However, the Karnataka government staunchly opposes any such move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’