Maharashtra wants Belgaum be declared a UT
Mumbai: Even as the Supreme Court is yet to decide on the contentious issue, the Maharashtra government on Thursday demanded that Belgaum district be declared a union territory.
State Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said that he will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to press of the demand.
The decades old border dispute between Maharashtra and Karnataka once again boiled over after pro-Marathi Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti (MES) controlled Belgaum City Corporation was superseded by the Karnataka government - on July 3 - for allegedly violating provisions of the Karnataka Municipal Act, 1976.
The MES had wants Belgaum city and 865 surrounding villages to be placed under Central government rule until the border dispute is resolved in the Supreme Court.
However, the Karnataka government staunchly opposes any such move.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs