Manipal gang-rape: Judicial custody of accused extended
Udupi: A court here on Monday extended till August 26 the judicial remand of five men arrested in connection with the abduction and gang-rape of a 22-year-old medical student from Kerala in June.
The accused - Hariprasad, Yogesh Shantappa Poojary and Anand - were produced in the chief judicial magistrate`s court here, Udupi Superintendent of Police Dr Boralingaiah said.
Harindra and Balachandra, brothers of Hariprasad, and Yogesh who were arrested on charges of destroying evidence, were also produced, he said.
Earlier, the court had rejected the bail plea of Harindra and Balachandra, observing that they may again attempt to destroy more evidence.
The medical student was kidnapped from the Manipal University campus in an autorickshaw while she was returning to her hostel from library and gang-raped by three men on late June 20 night, evoking a public outrage.
The police had nabbed Yogesh, Hariprasad and Anand a week later. Yogesh and Anand had allegedly attempted suicide just before their arrest and were hospitalised.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured