Manipal gang-rape: Judicial custody of accused extended
Udupi: A court here on Monday extended till August 26 the judicial remand of five men arrested in connection with the abduction and gang-rape of a 22-year-old medical student from Kerala in June.
The accused - Hariprasad, Yogesh Shantappa Poojary and Anand - were produced in the chief judicial magistrate`s court here, Udupi Superintendent of Police Dr Boralingaiah said.
Harindra and Balachandra, brothers of Hariprasad, and Yogesh who were arrested on charges of destroying evidence, were also produced, he said.
Earlier, the court had rejected the bail plea of Harindra and Balachandra, observing that they may again attempt to destroy more evidence.
The medical student was kidnapped from the Manipal University campus in an autorickshaw while she was returning to her hostel from library and gang-raped by three men on late June 20 night, evoking a public outrage.
The police had nabbed Yogesh, Hariprasad and Anand a week later. Yogesh and Anand had allegedly attempted suicide just before their arrest and were hospitalised.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll