Manipal gang-rape: Judicial custody of accused extended
Udupi: A court here on Monday extended till August 26 the judicial remand of five men arrested in connection with the abduction and gang-rape of a 22-year-old medical student from Kerala in June.
The accused - Hariprasad, Yogesh Shantappa Poojary and Anand - were produced in the chief judicial magistrate`s court here, Udupi Superintendent of Police Dr Boralingaiah said.
Harindra and Balachandra, brothers of Hariprasad, and Yogesh who were arrested on charges of destroying evidence, were also produced, he said.
Earlier, the court had rejected the bail plea of Harindra and Balachandra, observing that they may again attempt to destroy more evidence.
The medical student was kidnapped from the Manipal University campus in an autorickshaw while she was returning to her hostel from library and gang-raped by three men on late June 20 night, evoking a public outrage.
The police had nabbed Yogesh, Hariprasad and Anand a week later. Yogesh and Anand had allegedly attempted suicide just before their arrest and were hospitalised.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert