Manipal gang-rape: Judicial custody of accused extended
Udupi: A court here on Monday extended till August 26 the judicial remand of five men arrested in connection with the abduction and gang-rape of a 22-year-old medical student from Kerala in June.
The accused - Hariprasad, Yogesh Shantappa Poojary and Anand - were produced in the chief judicial magistrate`s court here, Udupi Superintendent of Police Dr Boralingaiah said.
Harindra and Balachandra, brothers of Hariprasad, and Yogesh who were arrested on charges of destroying evidence, were also produced, he said.
Earlier, the court had rejected the bail plea of Harindra and Balachandra, observing that they may again attempt to destroy more evidence.
The medical student was kidnapped from the Manipal University campus in an autorickshaw while she was returning to her hostel from library and gang-raped by three men on late June 20 night, evoking a public outrage.
The police had nabbed Yogesh, Hariprasad and Anand a week later. Yogesh and Anand had allegedly attempted suicide just before their arrest and were hospitalised.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- 2 million couples apply for second child in China last year
- Aanand L Rai mum on casting Katrina, says film with Shah Rukh Khan 'important'
- 'Happy Bhaag Jayegi' helmer's next is a biopic on poet Batalvi
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test, Day 1 — Dhawan, Kohli put up good show
- India's bid continues to be under consideration of NSG: Government