Manipal gang-rape: Judicial custody of accused extended
Udupi: A court here on Monday extended till August 26 the judicial remand of five men arrested in connection with the abduction and gang-rape of a 22-year-old medical student from Kerala in June.
The accused - Hariprasad, Yogesh Shantappa Poojary and Anand - were produced in the chief judicial magistrate`s court here, Udupi Superintendent of Police Dr Boralingaiah said.
Harindra and Balachandra, brothers of Hariprasad, and Yogesh who were arrested on charges of destroying evidence, were also produced, he said.
Earlier, the court had rejected the bail plea of Harindra and Balachandra, observing that they may again attempt to destroy more evidence.
The medical student was kidnapped from the Manipal University campus in an autorickshaw while she was returning to her hostel from library and gang-raped by three men on late June 20 night, evoking a public outrage.
The police had nabbed Yogesh, Hariprasad and Anand a week later. Yogesh and Anand had allegedly attempted suicide just before their arrest and were hospitalised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing