Manipuri student death: Murder case against two
Bangalore: Amid the mounting pressure for action, police on Tuesday registered a case of murder against two students in connection with the death of Manipuri student Richard Loitam under suspicious circumstances in a college hostel here.
"A case of murder has been booked against the two students
-- Vishal and Afzal, the prime suspects named by Loitam`s parents in their complaint", police sources said.
According to police, the two students who were studying along with Loitam had a scuffle with him and allegedly punched him on his head on the day he was found dead in the hostel.
"However, we are still awaiting the report of FSL where Loitam`s viscera has been sent to ascertain the actual cause of death, before arresting the two students", police said.
19-year old Loitam, a second semester student of Acharya NRV School of Architecture, was found dead on his hostel bed on the afternoon of April 18.
While police initially said he died as a result of a road accident, the student`s friends and family alleged he suffered fatal injuries in an assault by seniors a day earlier.
The death sparked off protests in Bangalore and New Delhi with the protesters demanding justice for Loitam.
Karnataka Home Minister R Ashok yesterday said police were probing the case and action would be taken against the guilty as per law.
BJP North East India Sampark Cell Convenor Sunil Deodhar along with Manipuri Meitei Association (MMA) President Omprakash met Ashok yesterday and held discussions on the death of Loitam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'