Manipuri teenager`s death: Arrest of suspects dema
Bangalore: Amid growing public outcry over the death of Manipuri student Loitam Richard, who died under suspicious circumstances in his college hostel here last month, a former minister from the northeastern state on Tuesday demanded immediate arrest of those behind the "killing".
Manipur`s CPI Secretary and former arts and culture minister M Nara Singh, who met Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda yesterday, said he was happy with his assurance that the suspects in the killing would be nabbed.
Singh said Gowda would address students from northeast in Karnataka in the next couple of days.
He said prima facie evidence and circumstances had pointed to severe assault all over Richard`s body.
Singh alleged that there had been "considerable and intentional delay by the college authorities" in filing a report to police regarding the incident.
He said though police had registered a case of unnatural death, evidences indicated that it was a case of murder.
"There are adequate prima facie evidence that Loitam suffered grievous and fatal injuries in the beating incident and died of these injuries."
Richard, a second semester student of Acharya NRV School of Architecture, was found dead on his hostel bed on the afternoon of April 18.
While police have maintained he died in a two-wheeler accident on April 16, his friends insist he died due to injuries after a severe assault by seniors on April 17.
The death sparked off protests in Bangalore and New Delhi with protesters demanding justice for Loitam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged