MES holds convention; 200 activists of Kannada out
Belgaum: In the wake of protests against a conference being organised by pro-Maharashtra outfit Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti near here, more than 200 activists of `Karnataka Rakshana Vedike` were taken into preventive custody on Sunday, police said.
"We have taken more than 200 KRV activists into preventive custody to avoid any untoward incidents at `Maha Melava`, especially in the wake of violent protests carried out by Kannada outfits yesterday," Belgaum SP Sandeep Patil said.
Police personnel were deployed at Yellur village where the `Maha Melava` (conference) was held today by the MES after three years to make its presence felt in the Marathi-speaking border areas of the State, sources said.
Patil said ten persons belonging to pro-Kannada outfits were arrested for attempting to set on fire a Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation bus near Chikodi and damaging another MSRTC bus in Nipani yesterday.
At the conference, pro-Maharashtra outfits passed a resolution saying till such time the Supreme Court decides on Karnataka-Maharashtra border issue, disputed areas should be accorded the status of Union Territory.
KRV activists criticised the state government for permitting pro-Maharashtra outfits to hold the conference. They also threatened to intensify their protest if any Maharashtra leader spoke about inclusion of borders areas into the neighbouring state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000