Mining scam: Janardhana Reddy`s custody ends today
Bangalore: The CBI custody of Karnataka’s powerful mining baron and former minister Janardhan Reddy ends on Monday.
The CBI officials will produce Reddy in the civil court in Bangalore today.
Reddy is charged with involvement in illegal mining.
It was during his last appearance in court that violence broke out between lawyers, journalists and police - in a stand-off that lasted several hours. Clearly, the police will take no chances over security.
Sixty five people, including 52 police personnel, were injured when lawyers attacked media persons who were in the city civil court complex to cover the appearance of former minister and mining baron Janardhan Reddy in a mining case on March 2.
The riot lasted for an hour and subsided after the police resorted to a lathi-charge and tear-gassing.
Lawyers have been boycotting courts the whole of last week following the incident - they allege police violence against lawyers.
Reddy was arrested from Bellary in September last year.
The CBI, probing "illegal" mining and irregularities in allotment of leases to Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC), had arrested Mr Reddy and his brother-in-law Srinivas Reddy, who is Managing Director of the company.
With Agency Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues