Mining scenario in K’taka will improve in 2-3 months: Jindal
Bangalore: JSW Group Chairman Sajjan Jindal on Thursday said the mining scenario in Karnataka would improve in next two to three months following Central Empowered Committee recommending the Supreme Court that some mines in some districts could be opened up.
"Shortage of ore in Karnataka is getting resolved and the mines are getting operationalise. We expect things to improve in next two to three months," he told reporters on the sidelines of Global Investors Meet (GIM) 2012 here.
Jindal said that JSW`s 10 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) Vijayanagar plant in Karnataka is currently running at 85-90 per cent capacity and expects to increase running capacity to 100 per cent once mines are opened up.
JSW Steel has been hit by a severe shortage of iron ore as the Supreme Court banned mining in three districts (Bellary, Chitradurga and Tumkur) of Karnataka last July and August to prevent further ecological damage. Since then, the company has met its requirement by buying ore in court-mandated auctions.
Continuous shortage of iron ore had forced Jindal to state that JSW Steel may close Karnataka plant on input shortage in September last.
"We may have to shut entirely (Vijayanagar plant)... There is a good possibility of that (closure) if the situation does not improve," Jindal had stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people