Miss Tibet crowning Wednesday, winner sad at being only aspirant
Bangalore: The Karnataka capital is set for a unique beauty pageant Wednesday but the would-be winner of the Miss Tibet 2013 competition is a bit unhappy about wearing the crown - the winner was the lone contestant.
The lone participant, from the US, would get the crown, a cash prize of Rs 100,000 and the right to represent Tibet in international beauty pageants, said the organisers, adding that the coronation ceremony would be brief, lasting just around 45 minutes.
"We are proud and happy to announce that there will be a new Miss Tibet this year. We received only one application to be Miss Tibet by the Jan 15 deadline," the pageant`s producer-director Lobsang Wangyal said in a statement.
Though only one had come forward to contest, he said, "Holding to the aims and objectives of the Miss Tibet pageant, it has been decided to crown the applicant. We deemed it important to respect her feelings and aspirations".
Wangyal did not give any details about the lone applicant, except that she "is from the US and she has already reached India for the ceremony".
"She was excited about the pageant, but after she was informed that there were no other applications she replied: "That is quite sad there won`t be a competition. I was looking forward to a fun competition."
Outgoing Miss Tibet Tenzin Yangkyi would crown the new Miss Tibet.
"We dedicate the new Miss Tibet to the Tibetan heroes who sacrificed themselves because of their love for freedom in Tibet. Nearly 100 Tibetans have set themselves on fire since 2009," Wangyal said.
This is the first time the pageant is being held outside Dharmashala, the home of Tibetan leader Dalai Lama.
"The pageant has been held for ten consecutive years in Dharamshala ever since it was started in 2002. Since most of the Tibetans in exile live in south India, it was deemed important to bring the pageant there so that people there can share and experience this one of the most awaited Tibetan events," Wangyal said.
The event was to be held for three days from Feb 10 at Bylakuppe, the largest Tibetan settlement in the country, near Mysore, about 220 km from Bangalore.
However, now the pageant would now be just a crowning ceremony in Bangalore.
Miss Tibet 2013 is the 11th in the series. It was not held last year because of the intense unrest in Tibet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India