Modi cannot oppose appointment of Lokayukta: Moily
Bangalore: Hitting out at Narendra Modi on the Lokayukta issue, Union Minister M Veerappa Moily on Wednesday said the Gujarat Chief Minister kept the ombudsman in "cold storage" as he has no faith in democracy.
Commenting on the Supreme Court upholding the appointment of Justice (retd) RA Mehta as state Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal, Moily said it is an "absolute setback" for Modi.
He wondered how the Modi government, which has come to power three times in a row, could oppose appointment of Lokayukta.
"He (Modi) has put Lokayukta in the cold storage. That means he has no faith in democracy," Moily said, adding that the Gujarat chief minister has to respond positively for appointment of Lokayukta and cannot oppose it.
Moily, a former Karnataka Chief Minister, also slammed the BJP government in Karnataka for "not implementing" Lokayukta reports on land-grabbing, land denotification and illegal mining, saying if action was taken on them, 75 per cent of MLAs would go to jail.
"They (the BJP government) have not appointed Lokayukta in Karnataka. Can you imagine?".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state