Modi cannot oppose appointment of Lokayukta: Moily
Bangalore: Hitting out at Narendra Modi on the Lokayukta issue, Union Minister M Veerappa Moily on Wednesday said the Gujarat Chief Minister kept the ombudsman in "cold storage" as he has no faith in democracy.
Commenting on the Supreme Court upholding the appointment of Justice (retd) RA Mehta as state Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal, Moily said it is an "absolute setback" for Modi.
He wondered how the Modi government, which has come to power three times in a row, could oppose appointment of Lokayukta.
"He (Modi) has put Lokayukta in the cold storage. That means he has no faith in democracy," Moily said, adding that the Gujarat chief minister has to respond positively for appointment of Lokayukta and cannot oppose it.
Moily, a former Karnataka Chief Minister, also slammed the BJP government in Karnataka for "not implementing" Lokayukta reports on land-grabbing, land denotification and illegal mining, saying if action was taken on them, 75 per cent of MLAs would go to jail.
"They (the BJP government) have not appointed Lokayukta in Karnataka. Can you imagine?".
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- PM Narendra Modi takes his place alongside other world leaders at Madame Tussauds
- Indra Nooyi, Satya Nadella, Bhavesh Patel among highest paid CEOs in world
- Oh fresh! You can't afford to miss these pictures from Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover's pooja ceremony
- 7th Pay Commission: New pay scales to put extra burden of Rs 1.02 lakh cr in FY17
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 24: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders — As it happened...