Modi cannot oppose appointment of Lokayukta: Moily
Bangalore: Hitting out at Narendra Modi on the Lokayukta issue, Union Minister M Veerappa Moily on Wednesday said the Gujarat Chief Minister kept the ombudsman in "cold storage" as he has no faith in democracy.
Commenting on the Supreme Court upholding the appointment of Justice (retd) RA Mehta as state Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal, Moily said it is an "absolute setback" for Modi.
He wondered how the Modi government, which has come to power three times in a row, could oppose appointment of Lokayukta.
"He (Modi) has put Lokayukta in the cold storage. That means he has no faith in democracy," Moily said, adding that the Gujarat chief minister has to respond positively for appointment of Lokayukta and cannot oppose it.
Moily, a former Karnataka Chief Minister, also slammed the BJP government in Karnataka for "not implementing" Lokayukta reports on land-grabbing, land denotification and illegal mining, saying if action was taken on them, 75 per cent of MLAs would go to jail.
"They (the BJP government) have not appointed Lokayukta in Karnataka. Can you imagine?".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days