Moily too rejects Bannurmath as K’taka Lokayukta
Bangalore: Backing Karnataka Governor HR
Bhardwaj`s stand rejecting BJP Government`s recommendation to
appoint former Kerala High Court Chief Justice SR Bannurmuth
as Lokayukta, Union Minister M Veerappa Moily on Saturday said it
was not "prudent" on the government`s part to insist on its
"It is not a prudent step by Chief Minister DV Sadananda
Gowda that the Governor accept his Government`s recommendation
for appointing Bannurmuth as Lokayukta. There are several
eligible retired judges of the Supreme Court and high court
who can be appointed to the post," he told reporters here.
Bhardwaj has this week written to the government asking
it to recommend another name for the post in the wake of
Bannurmuth facing allegations of securing land allotment in
judicial layout violating rules.
The Union Minister for Corporate Affairs opposed BJP
state unit President K S Eshwarappa`s questioning the utility
of Lokayukta in the wake of a senior official of the
anti-corruption watchdog admitting that some of its officials
too were corrupt.
Moily, a former chief minister of the state, said
Lokayukta institution held a ray of hope to people to fight
against graft at a time when Karnataka had earned the dubious
distinction of being the "most corrupt" state in the country.
He urged members of Team Anna fighting for Lokpal Bill to
mount a campaign to ensure that Lokayukta institution was not
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!