Moily too rejects Bannurmath as K’taka Lokayukta
Bangalore: Backing Karnataka Governor HR
Bhardwaj`s stand rejecting BJP Government`s recommendation to
appoint former Kerala High Court Chief Justice SR Bannurmuth
as Lokayukta, Union Minister M Veerappa Moily on Saturday said it
was not "prudent" on the government`s part to insist on its
"It is not a prudent step by Chief Minister DV Sadananda
Gowda that the Governor accept his Government`s recommendation
for appointing Bannurmuth as Lokayukta. There are several
eligible retired judges of the Supreme Court and high court
who can be appointed to the post," he told reporters here.
Bhardwaj has this week written to the government asking
it to recommend another name for the post in the wake of
Bannurmuth facing allegations of securing land allotment in
judicial layout violating rules.
The Union Minister for Corporate Affairs opposed BJP
state unit President K S Eshwarappa`s questioning the utility
of Lokayukta in the wake of a senior official of the
anti-corruption watchdog admitting that some of its officials
too were corrupt.
Moily, a former chief minister of the state, said
Lokayukta institution held a ray of hope to people to fight
against graft at a time when Karnataka had earned the dubious
distinction of being the "most corrupt" state in the country.
He urged members of Team Anna fighting for Lokpal Bill to
mount a campaign to ensure that Lokayukta institution was not
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical