Moily`s virtual clean chit to K G Balakrishnan
Bangalore: Union Law Minister M Veerappa
Moily on Monday gave a clean chit to NHRC Chairman and
former Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan, saying there
is no evidence of misuse of office by him.
"I don`t have even a single piece of paper to say...these
are all the allegations", Moily said, responding to a question
on allegations against Balakrishnan`s son-in-law for amassing
disproportionate assets and against his brother which appeared
in a section of the media.
"It`s only in newspapers and (television) channels", he
said on the allegations, adding "just because somebody levels
charges, they don`t become true".
Moily said allegations should be linked to misuse of
office, if any, by the former CJI. "There is no linkage
between the exercise of duty as a judge and certain property
made by his kith and kin", he said.
Meanwhile, Moily said there is no difference in Congress
on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s offer to appear before the
PAC on 2G spectrum issue.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s comments yesterday
should be seen in the context that no Prime Minister has
appeared before a PAC in parliamentary history, he said.
On BJP`s allegation that Congress is making an attempt to
make Sanjay Gandhi a "scapegoat" for all the wrongs during the
Emergency, he said "it`s not we (Congress trying to make
Moily said BJP had carried out a "tirade" against Indira
Gandhi and Sanjay Gandhi in the past for the clamping of
Emergency and now the opposition party thinks that the
"people have short memory".
BJP`s defence of Sanjay Gandhi stems from the fact that
his widow Maneka Gandhi is in the party, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli