Moily`s virtual clean chit to K G Balakrishnan
Bangalore: Union Law Minister M Veerappa
Moily on Monday gave a clean chit to NHRC Chairman and
former Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan, saying there
is no evidence of misuse of office by him.
"I don`t have even a single piece of paper to say...these
are all the allegations", Moily said, responding to a question
on allegations against Balakrishnan`s son-in-law for amassing
disproportionate assets and against his brother which appeared
in a section of the media.
"It`s only in newspapers and (television) channels", he
said on the allegations, adding "just because somebody levels
charges, they don`t become true".
Moily said allegations should be linked to misuse of
office, if any, by the former CJI. "There is no linkage
between the exercise of duty as a judge and certain property
made by his kith and kin", he said.
Meanwhile, Moily said there is no difference in Congress
on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s offer to appear before the
PAC on 2G spectrum issue.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s comments yesterday
should be seen in the context that no Prime Minister has
appeared before a PAC in parliamentary history, he said.
On BJP`s allegation that Congress is making an attempt to
make Sanjay Gandhi a "scapegoat" for all the wrongs during the
Emergency, he said "it`s not we (Congress trying to make
Moily said BJP had carried out a "tirade" against Indira
Gandhi and Sanjay Gandhi in the past for the clamping of
Emergency and now the opposition party thinks that the
"people have short memory".
BJP`s defence of Sanjay Gandhi stems from the fact that
his widow Maneka Gandhi is in the party, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers