Money laundering, tax evasion happening openly: K`taka Guv
Bangalore: Firing a fresh salvo against
the BJP government in Karnataka, Governor H R Bhardwaj Wednesday said money laundering and tax evasion was happening "openly in the state".
"Now it is in the public domain. Openly money
laundering is happening. Tax evasion is also happening. I have
been writing about it," Bhardwaj, who often comes in conflict
with the ruling BJP told reporters here.
His remarks came in response to a query on alleged tax
evasion by ministers and mining magnates Janardhana and
Karunakara Reddy, following Congress charge that Obulapuram
Mining company owned by them and their associate Health
Minister B Sriramulu, evaded tax of more than Rs 86 crore.
On a private complaint submitted to him by two
city-based advocates yesterday, seeking his sanction to
prosecute Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa, his two sons and
cabinet colleagues under the Anti-Corruption Act, Bhardwaj
said "it is big volume of papers. It is nearly 2,000 pages of
documents. I have to study it. I have to read through it".
On Yeddyurappa softening his stance about him and
stating that he would meet him once in 15 days and take his
suggestions, Bhardwaj smiled and said "I have come to know
about it through the media. I welcome his statement. Whenever
he meets me, we will discuss whatever he wants to".
To Yeddyurappa`s statement that he would meet him on
December 31 and invite him to address the joint session of the
State Legislature commencing on January six, Bhardwaj said
"this is my constitutional duty. Whenever a joint session is
called, Governor is bound to address it. I will do it".
"I have been doing my work firmly. You know I have
been long in politics. I will not break law and norms. I am
the head of the state and part of the Assembly. I will respect
institutions as long as I am here. I will not allow violation
of constitution and aberration of the rule of law. I have been
enough as a minister. I have always been transparent and
intend to continue like that", he said.
Earlier describing Karnataka as a "beautiful state
with beautiful people" at the World Urdu Conference, he said
"There is no problem here (Karnataka) except the problem of
Bhardwaj has been making relentless attacks on the BJP
government almost on all major issues, incurring the wrath of
the ruling party which has dubbed him a Congress agent and one
who is behaving like an Opposition leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday