Most Karnataka BJP rebels boycott Assembly
Bangalore: A majority of Karnataka`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators supporting former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa boycotted the Assembly session that began here on Tuesday.
The boycott was led by Yeddyurappa who is demanding that he be made chief minister again as the High Court on March 7 quashed the mining bribery case filed against him on the basis of last July`s Lokayukta report.
Yeddyurappa, claiming the support of 70 of the party`s 120 members in the 225-member Assembly, has set a Tuesday evening deadline for the party`s central leaders to remove his successor DV Sadananda Gowda from the post.
Gowda is to present the Budget on Wednesday.
Water Resources Minister Basavaraj Bommai told reporters at a resort on Bangalore`s outskirts that only a few ministers and legislators supporting Yeddyurappa would attend the 10-day Budget session.
He said BJP national leaders were in constant touch with Yeddyurappa over his demand for reinstatement.
Yeddyurappa and his supporters have been camping at the resort since Sunday night as part of the pressure tactics to achieve his demand.
Sources in the Yeddyurappa camp said the former chief minister has placed several conditions to attend the session. They include announcement of the date for meeting of the party`s legislature wing to elect a new leader and Gowda`s resignation a day prior to the meeting.
The Assembly was adjourned for the day after condoling the death of senior state BJP leader and higher education minister VS Acharya. Acharya, 71, died on February 17 following a heart attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj