Murder accused HP MLA takes oath
Shimla: The suspended Congress MLA from Doon, who is an accused in the murder of a young girl, today took oath as the member of the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly.
Ram Kumar Chowdhary was administered oath by Speaker Brij Bihari Lal Butail in his chamber.
Chowdhary was booked in Jyoti murder case along with four others by Panchkula police on November 22 and was evading arrest.
He did not attend the meeting of the newly-elected congress MLAs on December 23 and was also absent when the newly elected MLAs were administered oath during the first session of 12th Vidhan Sabha at Dharamsala on January 8.
He finally surrendered on January eight and was sent to Ambala prison by a court.
Later, the MLA had sought time from the Speaker through his lawyers for taking oath.
Talking to reporters after taking oath, Chaudhary rejected the possibilities of his resignation due to alleged involvement in the murder case and said that "a conspiracy has been hatched against him by his political rivals to involve him the case".
"I am innocent and would come out clean," he said, adding that he has full faith in judiciary.
HPCC president Sukhvinder Singh Sukkhu has already suspended the MLA from primary membership of the party and his suspension would remain valid till he is absolved of murder charges by the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- This is how billionaire Richard Branson looks after cheating death in a violent high-speed bike crash
- West Bengal hospital fire: Three killed, 50 children injured; Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia announced
- Astronomers find a 'dark' Milky Way
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 654—Abhi visits Pragya's place and meets her family!
- Fire kills at least 16 in Moscow printing works