Naming new Lokayukta will take time: Gowda
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda said on Sunday he would not name a new Lokayukta (ombudsman) in "a hurry" as it was "a sensitive matter".
Karnataka, the first state in the country to have a Lokayukta, has been without one since Justice (retd) Shivaraj V Patil quit September 19 under a cloud over acquiring two residential plots in Bangalore from two housing societies.
"We are searching for a suitable person, who is acceptable to all people," Gowda told reporters here.
"I do not want to decide the issue in a hurry. This is a sensitive matter. It will take some time," the Chief Minister said.
He declined to mention names under consideration.
"I will not tell you. Only after the governor approves the name, I will announce," he said.
Patil, a former judge of the Supreme Court, denied he had violated any norms in purchasing the two plots, one in his name and another in his wife`s. But he still quit in view of what he described as "malicious campaign" by media.
Patil was in office for just about 45 days. He took over on August 3, succeeding another former Supreme Court judge N Santosh Hegde whose report on illegal mining brought down the first Bharatiya Janata Party government headed by BS Yeddyurappa in the state on July 31.
The Lokayukta is appointed for a five-year term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door