Nandan Nilekani quits as UIDAI chairman to contest LS polls on Congress ticket
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Noted entrepreneur and Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani on Thursday quit as the chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), leaving a question mark on the Centre`s biggest exercise to issue single identity card to every Indian national.
It is not yet clear as to you will succeed him in the UIDAI.
Nilekani`s resignation as UIDAI chif was expected after he was named the Congress candidate from the 1.6 million strong South Bangalore constituency.
After being fielded from the South Bangalore seat, Nilekani will now face incumbent and five-time Member of Parliament from the constituency, Ananth Kumar of the BJP.
Karnataka BJP had recently petitioned electoral authorities against Nilekani, taking exception to his name and picture figuring with Aadhar Card advertisements, when the model code of conduct is in force.
"For the last 15 or 20 days Bangalore has been seeing various advertisements where Nandan Nilekani proclaims himself to be the giver of about 60 crore Aadhar cards to Indians," Karnataka BJP Co-spokesperson Malavika Avinash told reporters after complaining to Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha.
UIDAI comes under the Planning Commission of India headed by the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues