Nandan Nilekani quits as UIDAI chairman to contest LS polls on Congress ticket
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Noted entrepreneur and Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani on Thursday quit as the chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), leaving a question mark on the Centre`s biggest exercise to issue single identity card to every Indian national.
It is not yet clear as to you will succeed him in the UIDAI.
Nilekani`s resignation as UIDAI chif was expected after he was named the Congress candidate from the 1.6 million strong South Bangalore constituency.
After being fielded from the South Bangalore seat, Nilekani will now face incumbent and five-time Member of Parliament from the constituency, Ananth Kumar of the BJP.
Karnataka BJP had recently petitioned electoral authorities against Nilekani, taking exception to his name and picture figuring with Aadhar Card advertisements, when the model code of conduct is in force.
"For the last 15 or 20 days Bangalore has been seeing various advertisements where Nandan Nilekani proclaims himself to be the giver of about 60 crore Aadhar cards to Indians," Karnataka BJP Co-spokesperson Malavika Avinash told reporters after complaining to Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha.
UIDAI comes under the Planning Commission of India headed by the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Telcos take cover under new technology to mask call drops
- Black money: PM Modi to visit Switzerland, discuss issue with Swiss Prez
- Indian discus thrower Seema Punia qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics
- Karan Singh Grover had a great time at 'The Kapil Sharma Show', wants to visit again!
- Delhi L-G Najeeb Jung refuses AAP govt’s proposed app-based premium bus service scheme