Naval helicopter catches fire at Mangalore airport
Mangalore: A sea king helicopter of the Navy
with 13 naval personnel on board caught fire on Monday morning soon
after landing at the airport here during a routine sortie.
"All 13 personnel including the three crew member on board
the aircraft escaped unhurt and the fire was extinguished
using the resources at Mangalore airport," an Indian Navy
An investigation has been ordered to ascertain the
cause of the incident, he said.
"The aircraft was on a routine mission en-route to Mumbai
and had landed at Mangalore," he said.
Based at Kochi and Mumbai, sea king are multi-role choppers
and are used for various roles such as anti-submarine warfare
and search and rescue operations in deep sea.
Procured from United Kingdom, Indian Navy started
inducting these aircraft in its aviation branch in mid-80s and
these are operated both from shore-based naval aviation bases
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!