Naval helicopter catches fire at Mangalore airport
Mangalore: A sea king helicopter of the Navy
with 13 naval personnel on board caught fire on Monday morning soon
after landing at the airport here during a routine sortie.
"All 13 personnel including the three crew member on board
the aircraft escaped unhurt and the fire was extinguished
using the resources at Mangalore airport," an Indian Navy
An investigation has been ordered to ascertain the
cause of the incident, he said.
"The aircraft was on a routine mission en-route to Mumbai
and had landed at Mangalore," he said.
Based at Kochi and Mumbai, sea king are multi-role choppers
and are used for various roles such as anti-submarine warfare
and search and rescue operations in deep sea.
Procured from United Kingdom, Indian Navy started
inducting these aircraft in its aviation branch in mid-80s and
these are operated both from shore-based naval aviation bases
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday