Nearly 12,000 in fray for elections to Urban Local Bodies
Bangalore: About 12,000 candidates remain in the fray across Karnataka after the final day for withdrawal of nominations for the March 7 elections to urban local bodies on Wednesday, State Election Commission said here.
A total of 33,195 nominations papers were filed for 4,976 wards in 208 ULBs of which 26,541 were found in order.
As many as 3,579 nomination papers were rejected on February 26 after scrutiny, SEC sources said.
A total of 6,956 nomination papers were filed by Congress candidates, 5,716 by BJP candidates and 5,046 by JD(S) candidates.
The number of nomination papers filed by Karnataka Janata Party candidates was 2,345 and 1,690 by BSR Congress candidates.
A toal of 10,599 Independents also filed their nominations, SEC sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred