‘New Lokayukta list if Guv rejects recommendation’
Bangalore: As the standoff between Karnataka
Governor H R Bhardwaj and the state government continues over
the appointment of a new Lokayukta, Chief Minister D V
Sadananda Gowda on Tuesday said the ruling BJP would have no choice
but to prepare a new list of candidates if the Governor
rejected their original recommendation.
"I will try to consult the Governor in the next two days
(after MLC election) to iron out confusion over Justice
Bannurmath`s appointment as Karnataka Lokayukta," Gowda told
On their course of action if the Governor rejected the
government`s recommendation of Justice Bannurmath as the new
Lokayukta, Gowda said it would be "inevitable" for the state
government to initiate the process of preparing a new list of
"eligible" Lokayukta candidates.
The government had recommended the name of Bannurmath, a
former Chief Justice of Kerala High Court, to head the
Lokayukta but the Governor had asked the government to have a
rethink on it after citing allegations of irregularities
committed in allotment of a site in his name that surfaced in
sections of the media.
Bhardwaj has accused the government of adopting delaying
tactics in appointment of a new Lokayukta to "whitewash"
criminal cases and had questioned the consultation process in
recommending Justice Bannurmath`s name to head the
Asked if a "head-less" Lokayukta would "help" the state
government, he said yesterday: "If the Lokayukta comes and
whitewashes these crimes, then what will you do?", and noted
that the government had recently transferred "good officers"
from Lokayukta institution.
"And now they want to whitewash all these cases which
have been brought out by the Commission (Lokaykta report on
illegal mining)," he had said.
The government in recent weeks indicated that it is firm on
its choice and maintained that there are no documents before
it suggesting wrong-doing by Justice Bannurmath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"