‘New Lokayukta list if Guv rejects recommendation’
Bangalore: As the standoff between Karnataka
Governor H R Bhardwaj and the state government continues over
the appointment of a new Lokayukta, Chief Minister D V
Sadananda Gowda on Tuesday said the ruling BJP would have no choice
but to prepare a new list of candidates if the Governor
rejected their original recommendation.
"I will try to consult the Governor in the next two days
(after MLC election) to iron out confusion over Justice
Bannurmath`s appointment as Karnataka Lokayukta," Gowda told
On their course of action if the Governor rejected the
government`s recommendation of Justice Bannurmath as the new
Lokayukta, Gowda said it would be "inevitable" for the state
government to initiate the process of preparing a new list of
"eligible" Lokayukta candidates.
The government had recommended the name of Bannurmath, a
former Chief Justice of Kerala High Court, to head the
Lokayukta but the Governor had asked the government to have a
rethink on it after citing allegations of irregularities
committed in allotment of a site in his name that surfaced in
sections of the media.
Bhardwaj has accused the government of adopting delaying
tactics in appointment of a new Lokayukta to "whitewash"
criminal cases and had questioned the consultation process in
recommending Justice Bannurmath`s name to head the
Asked if a "head-less" Lokayukta would "help" the state
government, he said yesterday: "If the Lokayukta comes and
whitewashes these crimes, then what will you do?", and noted
that the government had recently transferred "good officers"
from Lokayukta institution.
"And now they want to whitewash all these cases which
have been brought out by the Commission (Lokaykta report on
illegal mining)," he had said.
The government in recent weeks indicated that it is firm on
its choice and maintained that there are no documents before
it suggesting wrong-doing by Justice Bannurmath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy