NHRC issue notice to Karnataka govt on vacant seats in schools
Chennai: The National Human Rights Commission has issued notice to Karnataka government on vacant seats under Right to Education (RTE) in schools in the state.
Taking a suo motu cognizance of a media report, which said that 34 percent of seats, which came up to 37,000 seats guaranteed for poor students, were lying vacant in schools of Karnataka due to poor implementation of Right to Education (RTE) of children belonging to weaker sections, a NHRC statement said.
The Commission has also observed that the contents of the media report, if true, "raise a serious issue of violation" of the Right to Education of the children belonging to weaker sections and issued notice to the Chief Secretary, Government of Karnataka, calling for a report within four weeks, it said.
These seats were reportedly lying vacant as children from weaker sections were subjected to discrimination, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says