NHRC issues notice to Karnataka Police
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday issued notice to the Karnataka Police for failing to release six prisoners who have served their sentence.
The commission has sought a report from the director general (prisons) of Karnataka as well as the superintendent of Gulbarga Jail, where the prisoners are jailed.
"We have taken cognizance of complaints that six prisoners have not been released from the Gulbarga Jail even after completing their sentence of 14 years," said NHRC.
The rights panel has called for a report within 15 days.
According to NHRC, the names of the prisoners are: Gurmeet Singh, Lakhwinder Singh, Shamsher Singh, Lal Singh, Wariam Singh and Gurdeep Singh Khaira. They were jailed for murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?