NHRC issues notice to Karnataka Police
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday issued notice to the Karnataka Police for failing to release six prisoners who have served their sentence.
The commission has sought a report from the director general (prisons) of Karnataka as well as the superintendent of Gulbarga Jail, where the prisoners are jailed.
"We have taken cognizance of complaints that six prisoners have not been released from the Gulbarga Jail even after completing their sentence of 14 years," said NHRC.
The rights panel has called for a report within 15 days.
According to NHRC, the names of the prisoners are: Gurmeet Singh, Lakhwinder Singh, Shamsher Singh, Lal Singh, Wariam Singh and Gurdeep Singh Khaira. They were jailed for murder.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources