Nithyananda to undergo to medical test
Bangalore: A court at Ramanagar on Wednesday granted police permission to subject controversial self-styled godman Nithyananda to a medical test as sought by the CID in a sex scandal case in 2010 reportedly involving him.
The CID had approached the court at Ramanagar, about 40 km from here, for permission to subject Nithyananda to medical tests, including a blood sample and also a voice test.
Nithyananda is facing a CID probe into allegations of rape and criminal intimidation levelled against him in 2010 after some TV channels telecast purported video footage of the self-styled godman in a compromising position with an actress.
Out on bail after his arrest in 2010, he had courted fresh trouble on June 8 when police booked him and his followers for allegedly assaulting a mediaperson during a press conference at his ashram at nearby Bidadi.
The press meet was held in the backdrop of a US-based woman alleging that Nithyananda had sexually abused her for five years, a charge that triggered public outrage and protests by Kannada groups.
Nithyananda was arrested on June 13 after he appeared before a court to surrender in the assault case and was on June 14 slapped with a fresh case of disturbing peace, leading to his arrest for the second time.
He was granted bail by the district executive magistrate on June 15, a day after his re-arrest on charges of disturbing the peace.
Meanwhile, members of various organisations went on a padayatra from Ramanagar to Bidadi and from there to the state secretariat here, demanding Nithyananda`s removal from Karnataka for his involvement in `objectionable activities`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand