Nithyananda to undergo to medical test
Bangalore: A court at Ramanagar on Wednesday granted police permission to subject controversial self-styled godman Nithyananda to a medical test as sought by the CID in a sex scandal case in 2010 reportedly involving him.
The CID had approached the court at Ramanagar, about 40 km from here, for permission to subject Nithyananda to medical tests, including a blood sample and also a voice test.
Nithyananda is facing a CID probe into allegations of rape and criminal intimidation levelled against him in 2010 after some TV channels telecast purported video footage of the self-styled godman in a compromising position with an actress.
Out on bail after his arrest in 2010, he had courted fresh trouble on June 8 when police booked him and his followers for allegedly assaulting a mediaperson during a press conference at his ashram at nearby Bidadi.
The press meet was held in the backdrop of a US-based woman alleging that Nithyananda had sexually abused her for five years, a charge that triggered public outrage and protests by Kannada groups.
Nithyananda was arrested on June 13 after he appeared before a court to surrender in the assault case and was on June 14 slapped with a fresh case of disturbing peace, leading to his arrest for the second time.
He was granted bail by the district executive magistrate on June 15, a day after his re-arrest on charges of disturbing the peace.
Meanwhile, members of various organisations went on a padayatra from Ramanagar to Bidadi and from there to the state secretariat here, demanding Nithyananda`s removal from Karnataka for his involvement in `objectionable activities`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says