Nityananda denies indulging in sleazy acts
Bangalore: Ending his long silence, self-styled godman Nityananda, facing charges of sexually abusing devotees, today refuted the allegations as baseless and a "blackmailing tactic by powerful people" to extort money from him.
"Had no physical relationship with anyone. Not drunk a drop of alcohol nor smoked nor had non-vegetarian food all my life," the controversial swami told reporters here.
He claimed powerful people had used a "misrepresented video" to blackmail him "about which I have no evidence".
"I am being threatened and blackmailed by powerful people politically. They demanded at least Rs 100 crore from me, then reduced the price to Rs 60 crore. Different amounts were demanded at different times," he said.
Nityananda whose alleged sex romps were aired by a private regional TV channel with an actress claimed "the whole video is manipulated and morphed. I categorically deny that it is me who is there (in the clipping)".
The denial by Nityananda, against whom charges of rape and criminal intimidation have been framed by police, came days after actress Ranjitha made a similar statement.
Nityananda went missing after the alleged scandal involving him broke out and was arrested from Solan district in Himachal Pradesh on April 21 last year.
"I will give the whole story and all details to the court," he said.
Turning his ire on the CID wing which is investigating allegations of rape against him, Nityananda said, "I have revealed all this to Corps of Detectives. They have not done anything. Nothing happened. They just sympathised with me and told me to just relax," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok