Nityananda moves HC, wants FIR quashed
Bangalore: Controversial Hindu religious guru Nityananada Swami on Tuesday moved the Karnataka High Court, seeking quashing of an FIR registered against him in connection with a sex CD case.
The development came a day after the Karnataka government ordered the arrest of the self-styled godman and sealing of his ashram near here following allegations of sexual exploitation of women.
Police today conducted searches at Nithyananda`s ashram at Bidadi.
Ramanagar District Superintendent of Police Anupam Agarwal said the search was for arresting those named in the FIR including Nithyananda.
"We are searching for Nithyananda. As of now we don`t think he is absconding, but if he is not in the ashram, we will look out (for him). If we find him we will arrest him on charges of assault and threat to life," he told reporters outside the ashram.
The order was issued by Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda in the wake of a state-wide demand for his arrest and closure of the ashram.
Nityananda would be arrested in two days, Gowda told reporters yesterday. The whereabouts of Nityananda are not known as he is believed to have left this ashram late last Thursday after a stormy press meet.
Gowda said he had ordered a search of the ashram and for a probe into charges by several women that they were sexually exploited by Nityananda.
Steps are also being taken to get the bail of Nityananda in a rape case cancelled, the chief minister said.
Nityananda has been on bail since June 2010 after he was arrested from Solan in Himachal Pradesh. He had gone into hiding in Solan for about a month in March-April 2010 after a Tamil TV channel aired a video showing him indulging in sexual acts.
After being picked up by Karnataka Police, he was in a Bangalore jail for seven weeks.
The latest trouble for the controversial religious leader began after a Kannada TV channel started telecasting complaints by several women that they were sexually exploited by him.
The Congress and Janata Dal-Secular as well as several Kannada groups have been demanding the immediate closure of the ashram and action against Nityananda.
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!