No crisis in Karnataka, BJP govt will complete its term: Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party president Rajnath Singh met Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar Monday morning and said that there is no threat to the present state government.
Rajnath Singh’s assurance comes after an hour long meeting with Shettar early morning today. The meet comes in the wake of 13 MLAs loyal to BS Yeddyurappa announced their decision to quit the BJP government last week. However, Rajnath termed the meet as a courtesy call.
“There is no crisis in Karnataka. Our government will complete its term. There is nothing to suggest anything to Jagadish Shettar as he is a very intelligent person,” Rajnath said.
Speaking to the mediapaersons Shettar said it was a "courtesy call" after Singh became the BJP chief and he, as the leader of the state legislative party, had come to take the new leader`s "wishes" for Karnataka.
Sources said both the leaders discussed the future of the first BJP government in south India.
Asked about the crisis in the state, he said, "Till now no MLA has resigned."
Shettar, who reached here by a special flight last evening from Hubli, expressed confidence that the BJP government would complete its full term.
He later left for Bangalore.
The meeting comes in wake of Singh making clear to Shettar last Friday not to compromise on the BJP`s principles even if it threatens the survival of the government in the southern state.
The party has, however, claimed that it is confident of overcoming the crisis.
Thirteen MLAs loyal to Karnataka Janata Party chief Yeddyurappa had gone in a delegation last Wednesday to meet Speaker K G Bopaiah to submit their resignation from Assembly membership.
As Bopaiah was not present, they had later submitted copies of their resignation letters to Governor HR Bhardwaj.
In the 225-member Karnataka Assembly, BJP has a strength of 117 excluding the Speaker and requires 113 for a simple majority. Congress has 71 members and JD-S 26. There are seven Independents and two vacancies. One member is nominated.
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!