No crisis in Karnataka, BJP govt will complete its term: Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party president Rajnath Singh met Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar Monday morning and said that there is no threat to the present state government.
Rajnath Singh’s assurance comes after an hour long meeting with Shettar early morning today. The meet comes in the wake of 13 MLAs loyal to BS Yeddyurappa announced their decision to quit the BJP government last week. However, Rajnath termed the meet as a courtesy call.
“There is no crisis in Karnataka. Our government will complete its term. There is nothing to suggest anything to Jagadish Shettar as he is a very intelligent person,” Rajnath said.
Speaking to the mediapaersons Shettar said it was a "courtesy call" after Singh became the BJP chief and he, as the leader of the state legislative party, had come to take the new leader`s "wishes" for Karnataka.
Sources said both the leaders discussed the future of the first BJP government in south India.
Asked about the crisis in the state, he said, "Till now no MLA has resigned."
Shettar, who reached here by a special flight last evening from Hubli, expressed confidence that the BJP government would complete its full term.
He later left for Bangalore.
The meeting comes in wake of Singh making clear to Shettar last Friday not to compromise on the BJP`s principles even if it threatens the survival of the government in the southern state.
The party has, however, claimed that it is confident of overcoming the crisis.
Thirteen MLAs loyal to Karnataka Janata Party chief Yeddyurappa had gone in a delegation last Wednesday to meet Speaker K G Bopaiah to submit their resignation from Assembly membership.
As Bopaiah was not present, they had later submitted copies of their resignation letters to Governor HR Bhardwaj.
In the 225-member Karnataka Assembly, BJP has a strength of 117 excluding the Speaker and requires 113 for a simple majority. Congress has 71 members and JD-S 26. There are seven Independents and two vacancies. One member is nominated.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey