No eye on Lok Sabha polls: Karnataka CM on budget
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Friday refuted the opposition charge that the "revised" state budget had been presented with an eye on the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections.
"This budget has not been presented keeping an eye on Lok Sabha elections," he told reporters here after presenting his first budget as Chief Minister.
Out of 168 manifesto promises, the Congress government has included sixty programmes in the budget, he said.
Criticising Opposition parties for calling the budget as "old wine in new bottle", he rebutted it asking, "Are Anna Bhagya, Disaster Management and providing Rs 10,000 crore for irrigation, their (BJP) programmes? I do not understand what they mean by this."
However, the government will continue to implement programmes such as Bhagyalaxmi and Suvarna Grama programmes, Siddaramaiah said. These programmes were launched by the previous BJP government.
Siddaramaiah said the budget is balanced and inclusive which maintains fiscal discipline.
Replying to a query, he said he was not against religious mutts and would provide help for those in need of money.
Leader of the Opposition in Legislative Assembly and JDS leader HD Kumaraswamy expressed disappointment,saying the budget lacks vision and there wasn`t anything new in it.
Kumaraswamy said the budget fails to cut debt burden and has nothing to alleviate problems faced by the downtrodden.
Former chief minister Jagadish Shettar expressed disappointment for dropping various pro-people programmes launched by the previous BJP government.
The BJP would to take to the streets in protest for not making any proposal to create new taluks, he said.
Criticising the government, he said there was no allocation for `Bhagyalakshmi` programme and cycle distribution scheme for students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves