No harm to public from Kaiga atomic plant leak: Official
Bangalore: Contamination of drinking water by radiation at the state-run Kaiga atomic power plant in northwest Karnataka has been contained to avert harm to the public, health and environment, a senior official said Sunday.
"The water cooler, which was contaminated by a radioactive element (Tritium) was isolated and put out of use November 25. The incidence has, however, not affected public, safety, health and environment," plant director JP Gupta said from Kaiga, about 500 km from here.
Admitting that the radioactive isotope of hydrogen (Tritium) had contaminated the isolated water cooler, Gupta said a thorough survey of the plant areas did not indicate any heavy water leak from the reactor systems.
The 220MW first unit-1 was shutdown October 20 for biennial maintenance works, while the second and third units of same capacity (220MW) are operating normally.
"Some of the radiation workers were found affected by the contaminated water in the cooler during their routine bioassay.
"As a precautionary measure, the affected people were checked and advised to consult doctors before resuming their duties," Gupta said.
The Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL), which operates the Kaiga unit, is investigating the incident to ascertain how the water cooler got contaminated by Tritium.
Meanwhile, Karnataka Education Minister VH Kageri, who is the district in-charge of Uttara Kannada where Kaiga is located, allayed fears of radiation leak affecting the people and the surrounding areas.
"There have been no reports of anyone being affected by the radiation incident. It is an isolated case in the unit and precautionary measures have been taken to prevent any harm to the people or nearby areas," Kageri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands