No injustice will be done to farmers: Gowda
Bangalore: Slamming Tamil Nadu for "frequently" raking up the Cauvery River water issue, Karnataka Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda on Saturday asserted that no injustice would be done to farmers in the Cauvery basin.
"Tamil Nadu is in the habit of raising the water-sharing tangle at frequent intervals," said Gowda, who held discussions with the state`s Irrigation Department and Law Department officials on Tamil Nadu moving the Supreme Court over utilising Cauvery waters.
"We will take the matter seriously and deal with it legally", he told reporters here.
All the riparian states have to honour the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal order and also on the distress formula given by it, he said, adding, the interest of the state`s farmers would not be sacrificed.
Meanwhile, Karnataka PCC president G Parameshwara demanded that government immediately convene an all-party meeting to debate the matter and requested that the state not release water to Tamil Nadu. Kannada Chaluvali leader Vatal Nagaraj also made similar demands.
Tamil Nadu has filed an application seeking to restrain Karnataka from resorting to summer irrigation.
The two states are locked in decades-long dispute on sharing waters of the river and the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal, set up by the Centre, had in 2007 given its final award, allocating 419 tmcft water to Tamil Nadu and 270 tmcft to Karnataka annually.
However, Karnataka has challenged the award in the apex court, alleging it gave a raw deal to the state overlooking its requirements and rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof