No intention to topple BJP govt, says Yeddyurappa
Bangalore: Days after 13 of his loyalist MLAs in ruling BJP announced their resignations pushing the government into a crisis, Karnataka Janata Party (KJP) supremo BS Yeddyurappa on Monday said he has no intention to topple the Shettar Ministry and indicated he is not averse to presentation of budget by it on February 8.
"Our aim is not to topple the Government", Yeddyurappa, who quit the BJP nearly two months ago, told reporters here.
He said if he had indeed wanted the collapse of the government, he would have done it on December 9 itself by getting BJP MLAs (who shared stage with him at the formal launch of his party) resigned then itself.
Referring to 13 BJP MLAs who wanted to resign, he said they are joining the KJP to strengthen it as the elections are approaching fast. "The intention of these MLAs is not to topple the government".
On the charge that he is pulling out MLAs from the BJP to prevent Shettar from presenting the budget, "Had I wanted to oppose budget presentation, I would have got 20 MLAs to resign at one go. We don`t have such intention".
Yeddyurappa had said in the past he does not want to take the blame if the Government were to fall, indicating that the KJP should not seen to be behind the exit of the Government-headed by Shettar, a leader of prominent Lingayat community from north Karnataka.
But, at the same time, the former Chief Minister had several times attacked Shettar, saying he is "shameless" as he continues to be in office despite the Government being reduced to "minority".
The 13 MLAs attempt to submit their resignations to the Speaker on January 23 failed as he was not in station, following which they handed over copies of their resignation letters to Governor HR Bhardwaj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside