No more resignations expected: Karnataka CM
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Wednesday said no more resignations were expected from the ruling BJP, though speculation continued that several party law makers would soon quit and join the 12 who resigned on Tuesday.
"All ministers and MLAs (Members of the Legislative Assembly) are in touch with me. I do not expect any one of them to resign," Shettar told reporters here.
State Bharatiya Janata Party chief and deputy chief minister KS Eshwarappa also said that he did not expect any more resignations from the Assembly and the party.
"We have been maintaining that only 13 or 14 MLAs will leave. And 12 have now quit," he said.
On Tuesday, 13 BJP law makers submitted their resignation letters to Assembly Speaker KG Bopaiah, who accepted 12 and held one back on technical grounds. The 13th resignation is expected to come through on Wednesday.
The 13 who submitted resignation letters are followers of former BJP chief minister BS Yeddyurappa and would now join the Karnataka Janata Party (KJP) led by him on Thursday.
The 12 are to quit the BJP on Wednesday.
"We will fax our resignation from the primary membership of BJP today (Wednesday)," BP Harish, one of the 12 who quit the Assembly on Tuesday, told reporters here.
The resignations have left the Shettar government with a wafer-thin majority in the Assembly. If more party MLAs quit, the BJP would have to depend on independents for survival.
The BJP strength now stands at 106, including the Speaker, in the 225-member Assembly. Two seats are vacant.
The party has the support of one of the seven independents, who is also a Cabinet minister.
There is one nominated member who belongs to the BJP.
The Congress has 71 members, and the Janata Dal-Secular 26.
Both Shettar and Eshwarappa expressed confidence that the 10-day Budget Session would be held as scheduled, beginning Feb 4. They said the chief minister would present the 2013-14 Budget on Feb 8.
"We have majority and will prove it, if necessary," Eshwarappa said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27