No move to take control of Udupi Krishna mutt: Karnataka CM
Tumkur: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Saturday refuted reports that the state government intended to bring Udupi Krishna Mutt Temple under its control.
"I have never said government will take control of the Udupi Krishna Mutt Temple. BS Yeddyurappa`s government had handed over the Krishna temple to Udupi Mutt. Earlier it was under Muzrai Department," he told reporters on the sidelines of unveiling of Direct benefi ransfer to LPG Consumers Scheme here.
Siddaramaiah said he had in an interview to a publication had stated that the matter would be discussed and nothing more than that. "I never said the government plans to take Krishna Temple under our control."
Chief Minister`s first announcement of rice at Rs 1 per kg for the below poverty line families (BPL) will now be implemented from July 1, instead of June 1.
"The state needs 1.8- lakh MT of PDS rice more to fulfil the promise made by the Congress in its manifesto to give 30 kg rice to each family at Re 1 per kg. The Centre has agreed to provide additional quota, but could not procure it in May. The stock will start arriving this month and we will implement the scheme by July 1," he said.
Siddaramaiah said the government has not taken any decision on introducing cheap liqour and emphasised on holding a debate on the issue.
Reacting to a query on gutkha ban in the state, he said the ban has been imposed based on the Supreme Court order and it would not affect arecanut growers. He also contended that the arecanut prices have fallen due to the handiwork of traders.
"Government will fully safeguard the interests of arecanut growers. It is our responsbility. There is not need for them to panic," he added.
Asked about Tamil Nadu moving the Supreme Court seeking over Rs 2,000 crore in damages from the state for not releasing Cauvery water, Siddaramaiah said the state has not received summons. "We will react after we receive a communication from the court," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city