No nude worship at Chandragutti fair
Shimoga: The ban on nude worship at locally famous goddess Renukamba fair at Chandragutti in the district from March 8 to 12 would be enforced strictly, the district administration said on Friday.
Devotees taking part in the festival would face strict action for violating the ban and they should observe it in decorous way, officials said.
The Renukamba Jatra will be attended by a large number of devotees from four districts and there was a tradition in the past when women devotees called "Jogathis" used to offer their pooja to the goddess in nude form after taking bath in the nearby river.
The practice was banned in 1984 after those who tried to prevent the nude worship were attacked by the Jogathis. There has however been a sea change in the attitude of devotees since then following the ban and awareness campaign with the fair being observed in a decent way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof