No plans to dissolve Karnataka assembly: BJP
Bangalore: Karnataka`s ruling BJP Monday asserted that it was not planning to dissolve the assembly before its tenure ended though several party legislators have quit and are threatening to leave the house and the party.
"There is no question of dissolution. All reports about the party mulling such a move are mere speculation," state Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief K. S. Eshwarappa told reporters here.
"Even if some more legislators quit, our government is safe and will complete the term (which ends in May)," he said. He was replying to questions on whether the BJP central leadership has advised the state leaders to dissolve the house instead of trying to prove its majority in case more party legislators to leave.
Elections to the 225-member assembly that includes one nominated member are due in May.
The speculation about assembly dissolution has been on for weeks now as the resignations of BJP assembly members from the house has reduced the party`s strength to 104, including the speaker. The party has the support of one of the seven Independents.
Resignations of two more BJP assembly members are pending with the speaker and another member has announced he would quit soon.
The combined opposition strength, including six independents, stands at 102.
Meanwhile Karnataka Governor H. R. Bhardwaj said that the situation has not reached a stage needing his intervention.
He told reporters on the margins of a function here that he was not concerned about the resignations and would act according to the laws.
Bhardwaj noted that polls to 208 urban local bodies have already been announced (they are scheduled for March 7) and elections to the assembly were also due soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?